Thursday, February 17, 2011

Study, Study Study

Check out the full moon tonight from our ashram:
I swear to god, people are getting married every few days in this town...we spent most of the day listening to major wedding chanting going on, and the wedding isn't even until tomorrow! I guess because of the moon it's prime wedding superstition..people get married on Tuesday, Thursday, you name it, there is no Saturday tradition like there is in the west.  All you can smell is the deep fried pastry smells wafting from over the fence in the celebration center next door. Women of all different color sarees are clapping and dancing on the roof, and the men are all hanging out in the main living room of the house, and people are cooking outside. It is a sight, but they are all staring at me when I pulled my camera out...so I couldnt share with you.  boo.

I finished that book Thousand splendid suns...it was AMAZING, but sad. It's the sequel to the Kite Runner, if that rings any bells. We just dont know how good we have it I swear.  So, my next book is a killer:

It's about a million pages, a true story about this guy Gregory (The author) who escapes from jail in Australia in 1980 and goes to India to hide, he joins the mafia, gets famous, serves his time in jail and writes this book all about his adventures...can't wait..it's pretty good so far. Can you believe i'm actually calm enough lately to absorb books...it's like a miracle.

So, turns out we have to take turns teaching the Sun Salutation exercises, so I'm studying my ass off this week, I even have one of the teachers hooking me up with a guitar so I can put my own melody to the chanting we are doing...I'll be sure to post the video of my folky take on the mantras....we have a drum here, so I think we are going to jam out soon. :-)

So, turns out our "Hello to the Queen" ice creams are becoming a bit of ritual around here, check out these photos of us pigging out:

So, all in all, we are all pretty much settled in now, and it's just coasting from here. It's really hitting home about the teaching, our exam is to teach a one hour class with our own flows of asanas (postures), and it's kind of exciting, there are so many to choose from. I have ordered some Jasmine tea from the shop in town and I have my own tea maker for my room now. All I need is a grill and some meat and I'll be in heaven. I can't believe I haven't eaten flesh in two weeks. I haven't had a drink either. I miss you, wine....
xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment